After having spent all your life on gluten-rich breakfast menus, having to thrive on gluten free ones is indeed a tough thing to do. More so, when you are at a loss for gluten free breakfast ideas. Well, no more losing sleep over it – not when we bring you recipes for hearty breakfast treats that do not, in any way, compromise with your gluten free diet.
- Dairy or non-dairy yogurt topped with fresh fruits.
- Homemade granola or toasted nuts.
- Smoothies…the options are numerous. Stay tuned for a great smoothie idea.
- Eggs in any form – hardboiled, fried, poached, omelets, scrambled or even frittatas. Keep reading for an easy-to-make egg recipe.
- Oatmeal (just read the label to be sure that it is gluten-free).
- Fresh fruits – a whole lot.
- Gluten free muffins.
- Warm cooked millets or quinoa or amaranth with some fresh fruits and maple syrup.
- Buckwheat pancakes.
- Gluten-free cereal bars.
- Tacos coupled with corn tortillas stuffed with scrambled eggs or tofu.
- Sweet potato or veggie hash.
- Sausages, salami, ham too can be a part of your breakfast provided that you read the label carefully in case of packaged meats.
- Salads provided you are okay with the idea of having salads in the morning.
1. Herb & Onion Frittata
Eggs are a staple for the breakfast table. But then, we don’t always have it in the form of frittatas. Here’s one simple breakfast frittata recipe for you.
- Diced onion - 1 cup
- Water – ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 Tsp
- Eggs – 2
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh herbs (chopped) – 2 Tsp
- Ground pepper – 1/8 Tsp
- Farmer’s Cheese – 2 Tbsp
- Reduced-fat ricotta – 2 Tbsp
Method of Preparation
Over a medium-high heat, bring the onion and the ¼ cup of water to boil. Cover to cook the onion – till they are soft. Uncover and cook until the water is evaporated. Drizzle the olive oil and stir well.
When the onions are looking brownish, pour the beaten egg. Reduce the heat to medium-low and keep stirring with a spatula. Cook until the egg is set.
Now reduce the heat further. Sprinkle over the herbs, salt and pepper. Add the cheese on top. Lift one edge of the frittata and drizzle in the rest of the water. Cook until the egg is thoroughly done and the cheese has melted.
The entire recipe will take around 10 minutes to prepare but will keep you feeling full till lunchtime.
Next up is the smoothie recipe as promised.
2. Strawberry coconut smoothie
Smoothies are a great, filling and refreshing way to start the day. While on the gluten free diet, you can try many smoothie recipes. Here’s one yummy way to kick start your morning.
- Organic strawberries, hulled – 1 cup
- Organic banana, frozen – 1
- Organic coconut milk – ¾ cup
- Chia seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Ice cold water – ½ cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 Tsp
- Unsweetened shredded coconut – A handful (optional)
Method of Preparation
Just add all the ingredients in the blender apart from the shredded coconut meat and blend until smooth and creamy.
If you want, add the shredded coconut on top and ENJOY!
That gluten free breakfast items are bland and boring is a myth. And by now, we are sure, you agree!