Gluten free cakes sound a little strange –how on earth do you make a cake without flour? Worry not, it can be done and it has been done! And you are about to find a few yummy recipes for exactly that right now!
The secret is actually a blend of a few different types of flour that form a good replacement for gluten rich flour. None of these types of flour contain gluten and so they’re not a problem for you, and the mixture also lends a nice distinct taste to your cakes!
So, first up…
The Gluten Free Mix Flour
It is quite easy to make – you just need to get all the ingredients, sift them together and then use a dry whisk to ensure it is all mixed through. Store in a dry jar in the fridge and use as needed! As for the ingredients:
- Super fine brown rice flour – 2 cups
- Sorghum flour – 2 cups
- Sweet rice flour – ½ cup
- White rice flour – ½ cup
- Amaranth flour – ½ cup
- Tapioca flour – ½ cup
- Quinoa flour – ½ cup
- Potato starch (not flour) – 1 and ½ cups
So, make the mix and gluten free baking will be a breeze – bread, pizza and of course, cakes!
So, now for the cakes! And without any more talk, here are three yummy recipes…
#1 Oatmeal Cake minus gluten
What you will need:
- Gluten free oatmeal – 1 cup
- Dark brown sugar – ¾ cup
- Plain sugar – ¾ cup
- Gluten free flour mix (use the one above) – 1 1/3 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Butter – ½ cup
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Boiling water – 1 1/3 cup
- Place oatmeal in a bowl. Pour over the water and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Sift the baking soda and the flour mix into a separate bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and the two types of sugar till fluffy.
- Add to this the oatmeal, the flour mix and the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Bake in a 13 x 9 inch baking tray for 35 minutes in a preheated 325 degrees F oven.
It gives a super-moist and soft cake that you can enjoy at tea time or otherwise!
And now for a more sinful and decadent delight!
Gluten free chocolate cake with chocolate glaze
First up, the ingredients for the cake:
- Semi-sweet chocolate (chopped ) – 6 ounces
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder – ½ cup
- Unsalted butter – ½ cup
- Eggs – 3 large
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
To make the cake:
- Melt the chocolate and butter over low heat and stir to combine.
- Lower the heat and add the sugar and cook for a further minute till the sugar is just about dissolved.
- Take the pan off the heat and whisk in one egg at a time. Follow up with the vanilla.
- Sift over the cocoa and now just fold in.
- Pour into a greased 7 inch tart pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F. The cake should be just done in the center.
- Once done, leave the cake to cool. When cooled, pour over the prepared glaze.
Now, for the glaze you will need:
- Semi-sweet chocolate (chopped ) – 2 ounces
- Unsalted butter – 1 ½ tbsp
- Milk or coconut milk – 1 ½ tsp
- Honey or agave syrup – 1 ½ tsp
Method for the glaze:
- Again melt the butter and chocolate together as in the case of the cake.
- Take off the heat, pour in the milk and honey and mix to combine till shiny and smooth.
- Cool only slightly (for about 3 minutes) and then pour over the cake to glaze. Use a spatula to smoothen out.
- Optionally you can coat the sides with crushed nuts to make it a real treat!
The cake really is a yummy treat – and well – it is completely gluten free, so you can indulge in peace!
And now it is time for some holiday spirit…
Gluten free fruit cake
Here’s a gluten free (and soy free and vegan) recipe for fruit cake. Watch the video and get baking!
Just because you have gluten intolerance you needn’t give up cakes! So long as you make sure you buy only gluten free ingredients and you clean all kitchen surfaces to ensure no cross-contamination – even you can enjoy all these gluten free cakes!